Matar Paneer Masala Recipe | Punjabi Masala Mutter Paneer | मटर पनीर सब्ज़ी
Matar Paneer is a very popular dish of paneer (Indian cottage cheese) and matar (green peas). In India, Paneer is available throughout the year but matar (green peas) is a seasonal vegetable which is freshly available in winters only. However you can make this recipe with frozen matar around the year. It is an ideal dish to serve to the guests along with roti, parantha, naan, pulav, jeera rice.
For all the paneer dishes, you can also use homemade paneer or can buy paneer from the market. This dish can be made with variety of gravies, like with cream, with cashew nuts and simple tomatoes gravy. So today, I am sharing simple tomato gravy matar paneer recipe.
So let’s begin and please follow step-by-step recipe to make delicious matar paneer at home: –
Preparation Time: 10 min.
Cook Time: 20 Min.
Servings : 4
Course: Lunch, Dinner
Cuisine: North Indian
Author: Iqbal Kaur
- 250gm Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese) – cut in cubes
- ¾ cup of Matar (Green Peas) – Boiled or Frozen
- 3 Green Chilies – Chopped
- 2 Small Onion – Chopped
- 2 Small Tomatoes – Chopped/Puree
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil/Butter/Ghee (clarified butter)
- ¼ tsp Jeera (cumin seeds)
- Pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)
- ¾ tsp Coriander Powder (Dhaniya Powder)
- ¼ tsp Turmeric (Haldi)
- ¼ tsp Red Chili Powder
- ¼ tsp Kashmiri Red Chili Powder (Degi Mirch)
- ½ Kasuri Methi (crushed)
- ¼ Garam Masala
- ¼ cup of Coriander Leafs (Dhaniya)
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup Water
- In a pan, heat oil. Once oil is hot, add cumin seeds and asafoetida
- When jeera starts cracking, add chopped onions. Mix and Saute
- When onions turn to pink in color, add chopped green chilies and ginger garlic paste. Mix well and cook until onions turn to brown in color
- Add coriander powder, turmeric, red chili powder, degi mirch and mix well. Saute for 30 seconds
- Add tomatoes puree, salt and mix well. Cook the tadka until oil separates
- Add peas (if not boiled), mix well with tadka and add water. Cook until only 1/4 water is left or peas completely cooks/tender.
- Add Paneer and mix well. Cook for 1 more min.
- Add garam masala, kasuri methi and mix well.
- Spread chopped Coriander leaves on it and Serve hot Matar Paneer with Parathas, chapati, Pulav, Jeera Rice, Naan, Missi Roti.
- You can avoid green chilies or red chili powder, if you don’t like spicy food
- To save some time, boil peas separately then just add peas and paneer after cooking tadka. Add little water if you want some gravy