Carom Seeds (Ajwain)
Carom Seeds, also known as Ajwain is an annual herb and the plant’s fruit and leaves frequently referred to as seeds are used in cooking. It is also known as bishops weeds. They belong to the same family as dill, fennel, caraway and anise. The seeds are very small like cumin seeds, yellowish brown to geryish green color, oval & ridged shaped and it has hot and strong butter taste. The leaves look like a small feather and they have strong odor like thyme.
The plant is mostly produced in India and Iran. Ajwain is sold in seed form and are used as spice in Indian Cooking.
Health Benefits of Ajwain
There are a lot of health benefits attached to Carom seeds. Ajwain produces thymol (an essential oil), when distilled which is a strong anti-spasmodic (suppresses muscle spasms), fungicide and germicide. Thymol is also used in Toothpaste, mouthwash, dusting powders for the treatment of infections. In Ayurveda, Ajwain used as a medicinal ingredient since long ago. The benefits of carom seeds are quite amazing, find below:-
- Acidity and Indigestion: Use to cure cramps, colic and muscle spasms
- Constipation: Carom seeds cure indigestion, so it also helps in curing constipation.
- Diarrhea: Drinking carom seeds water 2-3 times a day to get relieve from diarrhea, it’s a natural remedy to treat diarrhea or dysentery
- Kidney Disorders: Cures kidney stones and reduces pain due to Kidney problems
- Flu: To cure Flu, Boil Ajwain in water with cinnamon and drink it 3-4 times a day.
- Breastfeeding: Boil carom seeds with fennel seeds in water, strain and drink to cleanse uterus after delivery and to increase the milk production.
- Menstrual Cramps: Can lower menstrual cramps during periods
- Skin Problems: Helps in Eczema, itching and boils
- Cough & Cold: Consuming Ajwain with warm water gives Instant relief from cold and cough. Putting one teaspoon of carom seeds in boiling water and taking steam will help loosen up the mucus.
- Mouth Problems: Cures tooth pain, decay and bad odor
- Ear Pain: Heat 1 garlic clove with 1tsp ajwain in mustard oil, till they turn red color, cool and strain it. Put 1-2 drops of this oil into the ears to treat pain.
- Arthritis: Ajwain oil is very helpful to cure arthritis pain
- Migraine: Dry roast carom seeds, wrap it in muslin cloth, light handkerchief or tissue paper and smell this to reduce the pain of migraine headache. This method is also very helpful for infants or kids for easy breathing in cold.
- Weight Loss: Drinking Carom seeds water first this in the morning, helps to dissolve the fats fast
Side Effects of Ajwain (Carom Seeds)
It’s completely safe to use ajwain in food and for remedial dosage. One can notice following adverse side effects only if taken in excess:
- Mouth ulcer
- Burning sensation
- Stomach ulcers
- Nausea and dizziness
Ajwain (Carom Seeds) as Indian Spice
Carom seeds or Ajwain used as a spice in Indian kitchen. It is used to make herbal tea, flavoring pickles, snacks, biscuits, breads, pranthas, pakora and also in tempering of some vegetables/sabzi.