Punjabi Rajma Masala Recipe | Kidney Beans Curry | Rajma Chawal | पंजाबी राजमा मसाला
Kidney Beans (Rajma) have become very popular all over the world because of its health benefits and flavor. Kidney beans are known as Rajma in Northern India and this is grown in most of the part of Northern and southern parts of India.
Rajma (Kidney Beans) is very popular, flavorful and delicious curry recipe in Indian households that goes very well with rice, chapatti, pranthas, nana or any Indian bread. Generally, rajma rice is a famous combo in North India which is very easily available in any North Indian restaurants at lunch or dinner time. Just like rajma chawal, Dal chawal, chole chawal and kadhi chawal are also very popular in North Indian cuisine.
Rajma are very nutritious, fat free and has numerous health benefits. like:-
Health Benefits of Rajma (Kidney Beans):
- An excellent source of Protein for Vegetarian diet
- Rich in Minerals, fibers, antioxidants and vitamins
- Help to reduce weight loss
- Medium blood sugar levels
- Has necessary carbohydrates
Please follow step-by-step recipe to make delicious, mouth watering Rajma (kidney beans) at home:-
Preparation Time: 10 min.
Cook Time: 30 Min.
Servings : 4
Cuisine: North Indian
Author: Iqbal Kaur
- 1 cup Rajma (Kidney beans) – Soaked for 8 hours
- 2 medium Onions – finely chopped
- 3 small Tomatoes – Puree
- 2 Green Chili – finely chopped or puree with tomatoes
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Bay Leaf (Tej Patta)
- 2 inch long Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 1 Black Cardamom
- Pinch of Asafoetida (Hing) – Optional
- ¼ tsp Jeera (Cumin Seeds)
- ¼ tsp Turmeric (Haldi)
- ¼ tsp Red chili Powder
- ¾ tsp Coriander Powder (Dhaniya Powder)
- ¼ tsp Garam Masala
- ½ tsp Kasuri Methi – crushed
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil/ghee
- Soak one cup of Rajma overnight or for 8 hours
- Add soaked rajma in a pressure cooker with 3-4 cups of water, salt and haldi (turmeric). After one whistle, turn the flame to low and let it cook/boil for 10 min. Switch off the flame after 10 minutes and let the pressure of cooker goes away
- Heat the oil in a pan; add bay leaf (tej patta), cinnamon (dalchini), black cardamom (kali ilachi), asafoetida (hing) and jeera (cumin seeds). When jeera starts cracking, add onions. Sauté until onions turn to pink in color.
- Add ginger garlic paste and mix well. Cook until onions turn to brown in color.
- Add coriander powder (dhaniya powder), red chili powder, mix and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add tomato, green chili puree and mix well. Cook until oil separates from tadka.
- Transfer boiled rajma with boiled water into the tadka and mix well. Cook it for another 5 minutes to make the gravy thick
- Add garam masala, kasuri methi and mix well.
- Switch off the flame and serve Rajma hot with rice, roti, chapati, pulav, biryani, rumali roti, lachcha parantha, parantha.
Tips & Notes
- Add more water to adjust the consistency of rajma of your choice