Chole Bhature Recipe | How to make Bhature Chole at Home छोले भटूरे
Chole Bhature = Mouth Watering Dish. Isn’t it? It is very tempting and famous dish in North India which you can get very easily anywhere as breakfast and as lunch. Traditionally, it is a punjabi dish which is now liked in all over India and World. I usually make this dish on Saturday or Sunday as brunch. For this dish, I always start working from a day before; by making dough for the bhature and soaking white channe overnight.
Health Benefits of White Chickpeas: Rich in Plant based protein, helps in weight loss by keeping appetite under control, helps in controlling Blood Sugar, high fiber, potassium, vitamin B-6 and C.
So let’s start and please follow the recipe step by step to make delicious and mouth watering Chole Bhature (छोले भटूरे) at home: –
Preparation Time: 8 min.
Cook Time: 40 Min.
Servings : 3-4
Cuisine: N. Indian/Punjabi
Author: Iqbal Kaur
- 1 cup White Chickpeas/Kabuli Channa/Safed Chole – Soaked Overnight
- 2 Tea Bags or 1 Amla (आंवला – roughly Chopped)
- 1 medium Onion – Finely Chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 2 Green Chili – Chopped
- 2 medium Tomatoes – Puree or Finely Chopped
- Pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)
- 1 Bay Leaf (tejpatta)
- 1 small Cinnamon Stick/Dalchini
- 2 Cloves
- 1 Black Cardamom/Badi Elachi
- ½ tsp Jeera (Cumin Seeds)
- 1 tsp Channa Masala
- ¼ tsp Haldi (Turmeric)
- ¼ tsp Red Chili Powder (Optional)
- ½ tsp Kasuri Methi
- ¼ tsp Garam Masala (Optional)
- 2 tbsp Oil
For Bhature: –
- 2 cups – All Purpose Flour (Maida)
- 1 tbsp Semolina (Sooji/Rava)
- 4 tbsp Yogurt (Curd)
- 1 tsp Sugar
- ¼ tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Salt to taste
- Oil for Frying
- Water as required…
- First, transfer the soaked channe in pressure cooker, add amla or tea bags, salt and turmeric. After one whistle, turn the flame to low and cook for 10 min. Keep the pressue cooker aside to let pressure comes down.
- Heat the oil in a Kadai or deep pan. Add Bay Leaf, Cinnamon, Clove, Black Cardamom, jeera and hing. Saute them for 30 seconds and when jeera starts cracking, add Onions.
- When Onions turns into pink colour, add ginger-garlic paste and green chilis. Mix them and cook.
- When Onions turns into brown, add channa masala, red chili powder and mix it well. Cook the masala with onions for 30 seconds.
- Now add tomato puree or chopped tomatoes and mix them well with masala.
- When oil seperates from tomatoes, add boiled channa along with amla and water. (If you added the tea bags, take them out)
- Cook chole with the tadka until only 10% water remains. Add Garam Masala, Crush Kasuri Methi and mix.
- Switch off the flame and serve hot.
- Combine the all purpose flour, semolina, sugar, salt, baking powder, oil and mix well.
- Add yogurt/curd and mix well.
- Knead into firm dough with water.
- Put the dough into a bowl and cover it with lid or muslin cloth or kitchen cloth. Leave the dough overnight.
- Heat oil in a pan for frying.
- Divide the dough in to 8 equal sized portions, make balls out of it.
- Flatten it between your palms, now using rolling pin and board, start rolling it into an oval shape or circle
- When the oil is hot, slide rolled bhatura into the hot oil.
- Press the bhatura very gently by using back of skimmer fry (कड़छी). It will help the bhatura to puff up
- Once the bhatura is puffed up and turned in light brown color from bottom side then flip it and fry the other side until it is also turn to light brown color
- Take out the bhatura from Oil and place on paper towel to take out the excess oil.
- Serve warm chole with hot bhaturas’, pickle (achchar अचार) and vinegar onions.
- In the morning, you can keep the bhatura dough in the refrigerator until you are ready to make the bhature.
- Mash half cup of the boiled chole to make thick gravy